Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Academic Advisers

Do you ever get the feeling that the Academic Advisers that schools like to recommend so much really don't know anything? Obviously this is not true for all academic advisers, but the ones I have been to the past couple of years have definitely given me that impression. It starts when you receive an email or a notification that you have either been assigned an Academic Adviser (I'll call them AAs from now on) or that you should come visit their offices to see one. Then, you decide "hmm, maybe that would be a good idea" and go in. When you sit down with them though, they give off the air of "and why did you came see me, again?" which is totally opposite how they should be making you feel. Besides that, I feel like they never actually give me any useful information. I mean, one adviser the other day was going over  my degree audit with me during my meeting. There were two sections that  listed how many credits I had left but they both said a different amount. When I asked her why they were different, her exact reaction was : "uhhhhh..... I don't really know." Wow. On top of that, I have two majors, but no officially assigned AAs. Is there something wrong with that picture? 

No comments:

Post a Comment