Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tastes like chicken.

So today I continue playing informant on my Singapore adventures with my description of the Frog Farm I visited with my family earlier.
First we rode the MRT (metro) out to what one might refer to as a "suburb" area of singapore... though I am disinclined to think there is actually any such thing, or at least not in the way one would usually picture a suburban area. There were, however, less malls here...which was the basis of my classification. Anyway... we next took a taxi and entered the "middle of nowhere" area of the city... which I also thought did not exist. This area pretty much consists of all the farmers in one huge area, the large area that is a wildlife preserve (or part of it) and the military training grounds nearby, which of course are not open to the public's eye.

We were, as you might have surmised, in the farm area... and headed to the Frog Farm.
Now a trip to the Frog Farm was the grand idea of my mother... and thank goodness she never reads this blog (at least to the best of my knowledge, she doesn't) because that way she will never know that I actually enjoyed it far more than I admitted I did. I love frogs! When I was little, I would go "frog hunting" with my brother. We would go hunting all around the neighborhood collecting as many frogs... or toads... we don't judge!.... as we possibly could and haul them around until we were made to come inside for the night.

Of course, here in Asia, frogs would be considered relatively common cuisine... so "frog hunting" begins to take on a whole new meaning! The frogs raised here were actually the American Bullfrog, funnily enough, and they were HUGE. (You see how I used the big print to emphasize my point, right :] )
There were hundreds of them! They pretty much have concrete sections walled off, with a layer of water in the bottom... and then enough frogs to cover the entire floor... of course, for some reason they tended to pile up on each other... and I'm am talking piles of 15 at a time... instead of spreading out and taking it easy. They feed the frogs 3 times a day, which is probably why they weren't very hungry when we tried the same thing. Poor frogs, I am no frog expert, but since the goal of Frog Farming is to eventually eat the things, I am thinking that they were definitely being overfed to increase  their size. Apparently, the frogs are carnivores... I didn't know that! When they are younger, they often will eat one another! Isn't that interesting?...and kind of bizarre. I mean, what carnivore doesn't have teeth? Shouldn't that me a necessary item for the classification? The farm didn't feed them meat, though, but instead some kind of food pellets similar to what you would feed ducks or fish at the zoo.
Anyway, back to the farming process....
It is actually pretty basic. Areas for the frogs where they are fed and grow large, areas where they mate and lay eggs, areas where the tadpoles grow up... so the cycle continues. The farm also raised catfish and snakeheads (which are a type of fish...with sharp teeth!). They use the fish as their own sort of garbage disposable by feeding them the frogs that die when at a few months old. Apparently the fish grow well with that type of food and are more valuable in the market.
Besides those, the farm also sells eels, which are considered a delicacy in  many places around here, and Tilapia because they are easy to raise and very popular... and I have to say I can't argue with that, I love Tilapia! 
After our little "tour" we ordered a quick snack...frog, of course, as well as some crocodile bites. What can I say... "it tastes like chicken" really is not just an expression, you know.

1 comment:

  1. those poor frogs!lol and tadpoles are soo slimy! glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete