Monday, August 1, 2011

I survived!

So here I am on Monday (still alive and kickin') after my survival of Scuba Diving Training... I never expected this day would come!!! Haha okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little.... but I DID feel like I was going to die during my 200m swim!... I know, I know I'm a whimp! And I mean, what's with the exercises where you purposefully take out your own breathing regulator WHILE UNDER WATER??? Do they WANT me to drown?
Seriously, though... there were parts of the training that were a bit strenuous, and other  parts that were fun. I must say, however, that I am not exactly looking forward to the actual open water dive. Oh, did I forget to mention that yesterdays lessons weren't even in Ocean water? We spent the entire day at a local pool. You wouldn't believe how many people were there... probably 70 people at least all getting certified... and there are that many every Sunday!
So our open water dives are taking place next weekend. We are staying on an island in Malaysia. The instructors informed me that I have an actual possibility of seeing a shark while I'm thee... though they probably wondered why I didn't look as excited at this news as they were. lol
Apparently a lot of people in Singapore learn how to dive, which isn't surprising, given it's tropical location, but the diving around Singapore isn't very good. I don't think they have very clear visibility... of course, they don't know what zero visibility looks like until they visit the St Johns... but that's probably a story for a different post... anyway...
 In other news, Singapore's Independence Day is fast approaching. It is on August 9th, but the locals have been preparing for a while now. Every apartment building seems to sport flags from all the windows and there are banners and flags placed everywhere else around the city too. They have been preparing for their parade (which isn't really a parade, but more like a show) for over a month now. Hopefully it will be as exciting as they seem to think it will be, but more on that when it is closer..... Over and out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment