Friday, July 29, 2011

The Name Game

Have you ever played the Name Game?
Yes, I know there are countless versions, but in this instance, I refer to the one where you see the same people all the time, but don't know their name, so you designate names for them.
Let me give you an example: last semester in the Ballroom dance class, almost all the boys had desginated nicknames... of which they were oblivious. There was Emo kid, Classy, Expendable, Two beers in, Chad (who was just a little too weird to even get a nickname) etc... Get the picture?
Well I have some of those here in Singapore as well. There is Frumpy Dog Lady, who walks often with her frumpy-looking dog around the apartments. There is Loud Workout guy who.... you guessed it!.... works out very loudly! There is also Basketball Boy, who seems to always be playing basketball when I want to play Squash.
Lately, we have a new name... someone who we (meaning my family) have dubbed: Our Friend. That's it. That is all we call him. We see him every friday when we pass by the Hawker Center or stop in for Pizza. He is an old guy who comes right a six... probably every night and sits for a long time sipping his large Tiger beer. Later he gets a plate of food and sometimes sips on some tea. Old reliable, he is. Never misses a friday!

So that, my friends is the Name Game. I must say, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment