Tuesday, July 19, 2011

American Celebrations

Still running a little behind on my postings....

So might be wondering (though I sort of doubt it) about how one goes about celebrating the 4th of July while abroad. Well, this is the third time I have done so, so maybe I can give you a few pointers. The first time was in England while on a family vacation. I think I wore a red shirt and felt oddly out of place... it just seems wrong to celebrate your independence in the country you became independent of, you know? Also, I was mainly focused on getting my chance to see the Queen (which, by the way, I did get to do). Second time: Spain, last year. Well, to be honest w didn't really do anything. Fireworks are illegal in Spain or else some of the boys might have procured some. Third time: Singapore. Well now there are a lot of Americans in Singapore as well as an American base. On the 2nd of July, which was a Saturday, all us American headed on down to the base, though really whoever wanted to go was invited. Highlight: they had REAL hot dogs and LEMONADE!!!!... good lemonade!
They had balloons, games for kids, ice cream, bands playing and temporary tattoos and face painting all set up. After 8pm, we were allowed to shoot off fireworks. It was a pretty nice setting.
Of course, the funniest part was the strange looks we got on the metro ride home. I guess they didn't get the memo that there were American flags available to paste on your face! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment