Thursday, September 8, 2011

Night Safari

Tonight I went to Singapore's night time zoo... they call it the Night Safari!
So cool!... so you know how you spend all day long in the sun trying to get the animals to even blink at you from their shady slumber? Well, that is because many of the animals there are nocturnal! So a while, Singapore decided that since the animals were active during the night, it would make more sense to show them off then!
Bam! Night Safari. It opens in the evening until midnight and is located within the normal Zoo grounds, but at the same time, it was also different. The Zoo tram drove on a slightly different path that took you much closer to many of the animals, and had a sort of "tour guide" navigating along the way. As you might have guessed, it was really dark, and no flash photography was allowed. There were also the walking paths, but they were much more restricted in some areas, and then there were other paths that must be closed off during the day, because they definitely weren't there before!
Highlights?
The wolves gathering to howl together, the huge Tiger playing with something right in front of the viewing window, the two Leopard cubs pulling playfully on ropes while their mom watched, Rhinos and Hippos actually MOVING around, an enclosed bat area that we could walk through as the bats flapped around and past us, huge flying squirrels actually soaring around.... get the picture? Needless to say, I enjoyed the whole thing very much. Unfortunately, I also am not in bed as early as I usually have been, so I am planning to sleep in and forgo the exercise in the morning.
Oh well. Anyway, so I've a full day ahead tomorrow.... getting ready to leave for Xian and Beijing Saturday morning, so I'll be packing and finishing as much of next week's homework as I can! When I was in Shanghai I couldn't access my blog, and I doubt I will be able to this time either, so it is goodbye for a week or so until I return!

No comments:

Post a Comment